Abida Sidik Mia and Vera Kantukule have been promoted to full ministers in the maiden cabinet reshuffle which President Lazarus Chakwera has just announced.
Abida, who was the deputy minister of lands in the recent cabinet, will now be in charge of the newly constituted Ministry of Water and Sanitation, while Kantukule is now Minister of Labour.
The President has also appointed Neno South legislator Mark Katsonga Phiri as Minister of Trade and Industry, a combination of two portfolios which were previously separate entities.
Chakwera, who dissolved his maiden 31-member Cabinet after 17 months on Monday, has also drafted in Dowa North East legislator Sam Kawale as Minister of Lands.
He replaces Chitipa East member of Parliament Kezzie Msukwa who the President fired over his alleged connection to a corruption case.
The statement signed by Secretary to the President and Cabinet, Zanga-Zanga Chikhosi, further says the rest of Dr Chakwera’s appointees to Cabinet will be made soon owing to the President’s simultaneous preoccupation with a national emergency induced by Cyclone Ana.
Below is the full list of Cabinet appointments:
- Lobin Lowe, M.P., Minister of Agriculture.
- Dr Michael Bizwick Usi, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Wildlife.
- Patricia Annie Kaliati, Minister of Gender,
Community Development and Social Welfare.
- Titus Mvalo, Minister of Justice.
- Agnes Nyalonje, Minister of Education.
- Khumbize Kandodo Chiponda, M.P., Minister of Health.
- Jacob Hara, M.P., Minister of Transport
and Public Works.
- Prof. Blessings Darlo Chinsinga, Minister of
- Vera Kamtukule, Minister of Labour.
- Abida Sidik Mia, M.P., Minister of Water
- Mark Katsonga Phiri, M.P., Minister of
Trade and Industry.
- Samuel Kawale, M.P., Minister of Lands.